Monday, April 11, 2011

Black Bean and Salsa Soup

One day, I was looking for an easy black bean soup recipe and came across this one - Black Bean and Salsa Soup.

The ingredients were simple and it was not only easy, but fast to make. Based on this, I thought I would give it a try. I'm so glad that I did because it was delicious!


Here is the black beans, broth, salsa, and cumin ready in the pot to be pureed. (I reserved almost 3/4 cup of black beans because I didn't want the entire soup to be pureed. I wanted some whole beans in there also.)

I also used homemade salsa that I had, so I'm not sure what the difference in taste would be if I had used store bought instead. *Side note - nothing beats homemade salsa! :)

Photobucket

I used a hand blender to puree the mixture. So much easier than putting it in my food processor or blender. Here is the result of the pureeing. After I finished pureeing, I added the reserved whole black beans and heated everything on the stovetop.

Photobucket

The original recipe called for sour cream and green onions as a garnish. But I didn't have either, so I added some grated cheddar cheese and a dollop of salsa. It was so good and healthy. The kids loved it too! So double yay for that! :)

Photobucket

Black Bean and Salsa Soup

2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (I used chicken broth)
1 cup chunky salsa
1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 4 tablespoons sour cream (I didn't use this)
* 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion (I didn't use this either)

* replaced with grated cheddar cheese and salsa

In an electric food processor or blender, combine beans, broth, salsa, and cumin. Blend until fairly smooth. Heat the bean mixture in a saucepan over medium heat until thoroughly heated. Ladle soup into 4 individual bowls, and top each bowl with 1 tablespoon of the sour cream and 1/2 tablespoon green onion.


2 comments:

  1. It looks good in the bowl!

    Tonight we are having stew :-)

    <><
    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I couldn't believe how simple it was to make and that the kids loved it too! :))

    LOL, stew is a favorite here! :)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...