Monday, February 20, 2012

Gingersnap Cookies

Photobucket


The other morning I was at Costco and they had a demo (yes, those darn demos that make you want to buy what they are offering) for some gingersnap cookies. I tried one and they were really, really good.

I DIDN'T buy any because I thought that I would try and make my own and see if they would turn out just as good. :)

That afternoon I scoured the allrecipes.com website in search of the one that I thought looked best, based on the ingredients and the reviews.

I came across this one. The only change that I made was that I used 3/4 cup of butter instead of shortening.

I also didn't know exactly what cinnamon sugar was, so I searched google and came across this. You can make your own using just white sugar mixed with cinnamon. I guess the name says it all...easy enough, right? :))


Photobucket


Grandma's Gingersnap Cookies

Ingredients
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup shortening (I used butter instead)
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/3 cup cinnamon sugar

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Sift the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into a mixing bowl. Stir the mixture to blend evenly, and sift a second time into another bowl.

3. Place the shortening into a mixing bowl and beat until creamy. Gradually beat in the white sugar. Beat in the egg, and dark molasses. Sift 1/3 of the flour mixture into the shortening mixture; stir to thoroughly blend. Sift in the remaining flour mixture, and mix together until a soft dough forms. Pinch off small amounts of dough and roll into 1 inch diameter balls between your hands. Roll each ball in cinnamon sugar, and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.

4. Bake in preheated oven until the tops are rounded and slightly cracked, about 10 minutes. Cool cookies on a wire rack. Store in an air tight container.


Photobucket


These are SO, SO good! Soft and chewy on the inside and just slightly crispy on the outside. We all loved them!

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, thanks for reminding me, and for the recipe. I'm going to make these today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Carol! Enjoy...they are REALLY good!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...