Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Pom Pom Tutorial

I've always wanted to make some tissue paper pom poms and decided the other day that I was going to try it out. Wow, they are so fun make! I decided to hang mine over the kitchen sink. I absolutely love how it twirls ever so slightly and catches the light from the window. Definitely going to be making some more!


I used 8 sheets of 20" x 20" tissue paper.

With the eight sheets stacked on top of each other, you fold the tissue over by 1 1/2".

Photobucket

You then continue folding the tissue accordian style by 1 1/2", creasing with each fold until you reach the end. (If you have some tissue left at the end, just use scissors to cut that section off.)

This is what your finished folding should look like.

Photobucket

Next fold in half and make a crease. The crease is where you are going to wrap the wire.

Photobucket

Cut about a 6" piece of floral or craft wire and wrap along the crease you made (in previous photo). Twist the two ends together to secure and cut off any excess wire.

Photobucket

This is how the resulting wrapping of wire and twisting the ends together should look like.

Photobucket

Next, cut each end of the tissue into rounded shapes.

Photobucket

Then, CAREFULLY separate each layer of tissue. This has to be done with extreme care or else the tissue will tear.

Photobucket

Here is my pom pom hanging above my kitchen sink. I attached it with ribbon (to the wire that I wrapped in the middle). I ♥ it!

Photobucket

I'm thinking of making some fabric pennants and stringing them across also. I'll have to see. :)

Photobucket

My son loved it so much that he wanted me to make some for his bedroom. I got him to help me fold the tissue paper, wrap the wire around, and round out each of the ends. He wanted his pom poms red though. :) I think that I'm going to have to make some for my bedroom too!

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely color for your pommpom. I remember making these in kindergarten, possibly for Mother's Day, but it was given to my father. He kept it for years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I'm loving making these...so much fun! :) I am loving the color turquoise! My house is accented with bits of turquoise here and there. :) Have a great day! Cathy :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...